Personal Safety Plan
The following steps are my plan for increasing my safety and preparing to protect myself in case of further abuse.
Although I can't control my abusers violence, I do have a choice about how I respond and how I get to safety.
I will decide for myself if and when I will tell others that I have been abused, or that I am still at risk.
Friends, family and co-workers can help protect me, if they know what is happening, and what they can do to help.
To increase my safety, I can do some or all of the following:
8/22/2005 by Covenantal Promotions
- When I have to talk to my abuser in person, I can _________________________________________________________.
- When I talk to my abuser on the phone, I can _________________________________________________________.
- I will make up a "code word" for my family, co-workers, or friends, so they know when to call for help for me. My code word is _________________________________________________________.
- When I feel a fight coming on, I will try to move to a place that is lowest risk for getting hurt such as ________________________ or (at work) ___________________________ or _________________________ . (at home) (in public)
- I can tell my family, co-workers, boss, or a friend about my situation. I feel safe telling: __________________________________.
- I can use an answering machine or ask my co-workers, friends or other family members to screen my calls and visitors. I have the right to not receive harassing phone calls. I can ask _______________________or ____________________ to help screen (home) (work) my phone calls.
- I can keep change for phone calls with me at all times. I can call any of the following people for assistance or support if necessary and can ask them to call the police if they see my abuser bothering me.
- When leaving work I can: _____________________________________.
- When walking, riding or driving home, if problems occur, I can: ____________________________________________________________.
- I can attend a support group for women who have been abused.
Support groups are held: ______________________________ at ___________________________________________________________ .
- Telephone Numbers I Need to Know:
Police/Sheriffs Department: __________________________________
Probation Officer: ___________________________________________
Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Program: ____________________
Clergy Person: ______________________________________________